Mrs. Donna Cook is the principal of Rea View Elementary. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education from UNC-Charlotte where she participated in the North Carolina Teaching Fellows program as an undergraduate. Mrs. Cook returned to UNC-Charlotte for her graduate work, and completed her Master's degree in Reading, Language, and Literacy. Her additional areas of certification include administration, supervision, and AIG.
Mrs. Cook began her career in Union County Public Schools as a teacher, and has held the following positions during her tenure with the school system:
- Third Grade Teacher, Wesley Chapel Elementary, 1993-1995
- Fifth Grade Teacher, Wesley Chapel Elementary, 1995-1997
- AIG Teacher, Unionville Elementary, 1997-1999
- Assistant Principal, Unionville Elementary, 1999-2001
- Principal, Unionville Elementary, 2001-2006
- Principal, Rea View Elementary, January 1, 2007 to present
Highlights of her professional career include the following:
- Teacher of the Year, Wesley Chapel Elementary, 1996-1997
- Union County Math Teacher of the Year, 1999
- Odyssey of the Mind Coach, Unionville Elementary, 1999-2001
- Unionville Elementary, National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, 2001
- Unionville Elementary, School of Excellence/Honor School of Excellence/High Growth Status, four consecutive years (2001/02-2004/05)
- Unionville Elementary, Two-time recipient of Super Safe School Award from NCDPI
- Comprehensive Literacy Model Summer Institute, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, 2003
- Principals' Executive Program, UNC-Chapel Hill, 2004-2005
- Girls on the Run Coach, Unionville Elementary, 2006
- WorldView Global Education Leaders Program, UNC-Chapel Hill, 2006
- World View International Study Visit in India, 2007
- College Board Study Visit to China, 2010
- Summer Reading Institute with Columbia University/Teachers' College Reading & Writing Project, July 2011
Throughout her career, she has enjoyed a wide range of professional development opportunities, and is passionate about being a life-long learner. She has particularly enjoyed her training in the Comprehensive Literacy Model/balanced literacy approach, brain-based education, Facilitative Leadership, globally-focused education, hands-on math and science, professional learning communities, strategies for enhancing school safety, technology, Thinking Maps, and the workshop instructional framework, with a focus on Writers' Workshop.
Mrs. Cook is a native of Wingate, NC , a life-long resident of Union County, and product of Union County Public Schools. She is married to Bill Cook, who is the principal of Marvin Ridge High School and has two step-sons, Cameron, 21, who is a senior at UNC Chapel Hill, and Grant, 16, who is a junior at Marvin Ridge High School. Mrs. Cook enjoys time with her family and friends, travel, cooking, running, biking, tennis, reading, and photography.